Vernon Volumes text
Monday, January 31, 2022
BMW X3 - Family Car
This past weekend, Andrea and I went to Daytona Beach to trade in our old 2013 Lexus GX for a 2018 BMW X3. Connor turns 15 in a little over a month and Andrea had concerns about him driving around in the big Lexus SUV. The X3 is definitely a bit easier to drive and has some helpful safety features like blindspot indicators on the mirrors and lines on the reverse camera system. Connor has been working on his Driver's Education class and is on schedule to get his permit on his birthday. It's hard to believe he'll be driving soon!
Wednesday, January 26, 2022
It's been chilly outside so the perfect thing in this weather is chili! We found a recipe online and decided to give it a try. It turned out great and Paige had fun cooking.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion -diced
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper* -optional
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for two minutes. Add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with their juice), drained beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat (low to medium-low) to gently simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Paige's Very Cold I9 Flag Football Game - Passing TD
Paige had her third flag football game on Saturday. It was a cold morning and it was in the low 40's during the game. Grandma and Grandpa came to eat lunch with us beforehand and to watch Paige. The girls played another all boy team and scored a couple of touchdowns. Paige had a few good rushes but didn't get in the end zone this week. She did, however throw a passing touchdown on a sneaky fake run.
Connor Roughhousing with Millie Mae
Millie Mae likes to wrestle and play rough lately. She has her "babies", her stuffed animals, but she mostly just likes to gnaw on them. Her favorite thing is to chase us around or have us chase her around and then wrestle. Connor was chilling before a tutoring session the other day and I got a few pics and a video of him roughhousing with Millie. She sounds angry and mean, but she loves it and always comes back for more.
Sunday, January 16, 2022
Paige's Second I9 Flag Football Game
This past week was fairly uneventful for us. It was a pretty typical work and school week. Paige had practice for flag football on Thursday and then her second game on Saturday. She didn't get a lot of chances with the ball since there's a lot of girls on the team, but she did have a great run that almost resulted in a touchdown and she caught a pass for a touchdown. The girls were a bit overwhelmed by the other team overall and didn't win, but they had fun and scored twice this week (Abby also scored a touchdown). Paige loves hanging out with her friends and she definitely seems to be having fun with it.
Saturday, January 8, 2022
Paige's First I9 Flag Football Game
New Years in Blowing Rock NC with the Gobles
We'd considered skiing in the afternoon on Tuesday, but after our busy morning everyone was too tired so we just chilled out, did some packing, and watched a movie.
Early on Wednesday, January 5th, we headed home. I watched the last of the snow melt off our car as we crossed further south and it was great to be back in the warm weather. I went for a jog around the neighborhood when we got home to celebrate.
Overall, we had an amazing time with the Gobles. Graydon was fun as ever. He loves to hang out with his cousins and Connor had fun roughhousing with him. Paige and Graydon shared a room with two twin beds and we could hear them at night chit chatting after the lights were out. Griffin kept us all on our toes. I enjoyed taking him for walks on the golf course in his stroller and he enjoyed when I'd hand him golf balls, branches, and random things we'd find. Andrea played with him often and he was in a good mood most of the time. We're so thankful that we were able to spend time with family over the New Year, that we all made it there safely and back in the winter weather, and that we all were healthy and together.
Happy New Year!