Andrea and I went to New York in 2017 and decided that we would go with the kids this year. Andrea planned the trip to be over the Labor Day holiday so the kids wouldn't miss as much school, but as the date got closer we thought that maybe it would be more fun as an adult trip instead. Amanda and Ryan graciously agreed to let our kids hang out at their place Saturday-Monday, so we changed our reservations and the kids were also happy they wouldn't have to miss any school. The other two nights we were gone, the kids stayed home alone and got themselves up and to school by themselves. It was the first time for them staying overnight alone.
We flew out super early on Friday morning and after dropping our bags off at the Conrad Hotel we headed straight over to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Well, we kind of headed straight over. I pulled up Google's recommended subway route and we got aboard a train. While we were sitting on it, Andrea pulled up another route and we decided to maybe change to that route. We ended up getting turned around somewhere along the way. The ride took about twice as long as it should have, but we got there eventually.
Friday and Saturday were forecasted to have the best weather and although we hadn't necessarily intended to go to the US Open immediately, the weather made it necessary. Friday's high was in the low 70's and it was actually a little cool in the shade at times.
We didn't stay too late on Friday as we were pretty worn out from our early morning flight. We got back to the room and I got some pizzas from a nearby place that sold 99 cent pizza slices. It was kind of nuts that for $11 we got five slices of pizza and a couple of cokes. I told Andrea that our entire dinner cost half as much as one of the chicken nachos we bought at the US Open earlier in the day.
- Taylor Townsend vs Karolina Muchova in Louis Armstrong
- Iga Swiatek vs Kaja Juvan in Louis Armstrong
- Jennifer Brady vs Caroline Wozniacki in Arthur Ashe
- Austin Krajicek & Jessica Pegula vs Laura Siegemund and Sander Gillé (Mixed Doubles)
- R. Montgomery & C. Ngounoue vs M. Kolodziejova & L. Noskova
- Madison Keys vs Ludmila Samsonova on Louis Armstrong
- Aliona Bolsova & Rebeka Masarova vs Taylor Townsend & Leylah Fernandez
- A few other doubles matches that weren't the most exciting or memorable