Vernon Volumes text

Vernon Volumes text

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Andrea's surgery - salpingectomy

On Tuesday this week, Andrea had salpingectomy surgery to remove her fallopian tubes. 

Late last year, Andrea did the genetic test for the BRCA gene and found that she was BRCA2 positive. The BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations are known to increase the risk of breast cancer and other types of cancer. Specifically, the mutation she carries is 8141del5 - Deleterious. 

Since this discovery, we been attending a local group meeting to discuss BRCA and breast cancer related issues and we've also met with multiple doctors to get their opinions on prophylactic treatment options. There's strong evidence to show that removal of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and breasts prior to age 40 will decrease Andrea's chances of developing cancer in those areas. 

After much soul searching and thinking, Andrea decided to start this summer with the salpingectomy surgery. We flew in Abby, Andrea's sister, on Monday to help with the kids. Early Tuesday morning, Andrea and I drove to the Mayo Clinic and got Andrea prepped for surgery. I waited in the waiting room for a few hours and finally the surgeon came out and met with me to discuss the surgery. He said that everything went well and from a visual inspection everything looked good. After another hour, Andrea was moved to the PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit), and I was able to see her.

Andrea was very brave about the whole thing and it wasn't until after the surgery when she was in the recovery area that she got emotional and teared up. When I came in, she was still a little out of it and very dizzy from the medication. We let her rest and recover for about an hour. We were told that she had to pee before we could leave and the first try she was surprised that she wasn't able to. We maxed and relaxed for another 30 minutes or so and on the second try she was able to go. 

I took her home and got her all situated in bed, then ran out to pick up her pain meds. Later that day, after a nap, she was actually able to get up and walk around a bit. In the days after surgery, she's looked great, and has been in good spirits. She isn't supposed to do much for a couple weeks and isn't cleared to do any exercise or tennis for at least four weeks. We're very pleased that she's able to get around and do most of her normal things like go out to lunch and go places with the family.

Our friends, neighbors, and Andrea's tennis teammates have been amazing with their support for the surgery. Many of them have insisted upon bringing flowers, cards, and meals. Andrea didn't want a lot of attention for the surgery and didn't want people to trouble themselves with doing things for us, but we are very thankful for everything and it definitely brightened her days.

So far so good! Hopefully everything continues to heal up nicely and Andrea can get back to her normal routine very soon this summer!

1 comment:

Richard said...

So glad Andrea is doing well. This kind of surgery is distressing both physically and mentally. We pray for quick recovery.