Vernon Volumes text

Vernon Volumes text

Saturday, August 10, 2019

Chicago visit for Great Grandma Delores's 89th birthday

On Friday, August 2nd, I flew to Chicago with Connor and Paige. Since Andrea had just done chemo on Tuesday, she wasn't able to come with us and stayed at the house with Abby. Grandma Delores turned 89 on Friday and everyone went over to Uncle Roger's house in the afternoon and evening to celebrate. We walked around in their big backyard garden, played checkers and piano, went on a walk with the dogs, played games, ate dinner, and then enjoyed a birthday cake that Aunt Wendy baked for Grandma.

On Saturday morning we went back over to Rog and Wendy's house for some Belgian waffles and played with some more of their toys. Connor fell in love with the marble race track and we built all kinds of race courses and would see which marbles were fastest (red always won). Paige played piano a lot at Rog's house and had a neat app on her phone that gave her some piano instruction and it actually would have songs that she could play along with and it would listen to her performance and would grade her and keep track as she progressed.

In the afternoon we went over to Aunt Sharon's house and enjoyed the relatively cool weather. The kids played outside quite a bit when we arrived until Connor got a blister playing basketball in his sandals. Paige played with the Cozy Coupe car and with Erin's kids Caleb and Emmy.

The favorite part of my day was going on a nice long walk with Max. He rode a scooter and we went all the way down to the end of the road in the neighborhood and then back. We found a big beetle bug, some birds, a sweet honeysuckle flower and a big metal bolt. It was quite the adventure and I enjoyed chatting with him. He had so much to say and is at such a fun age.

As it got dark, we played a super competitive game of four square until the mosquitoes got a little too bad, someone broke a glass, and it got dark.

The kids practiced some drums with Uncle Lee and put on a little performance for Alex, Laura, and myself.

Then, it was time to say goodnight and goodbye to everyone!

On Sunday morning we went back over to Rog and Wendy's after breakfast and hung out for about an hour before our flight. We made one more marble track and then we packed up and said goodbye to everyone. 

We had a nice visit in Chicago, it was short and quite a bit of effort for such a short weekend trip, but I was happy we were able to see Grandma Delores on her birthday and were able to see all the family that was around as well. The kids were so fun to travel with, they are so easy going and wonderful.

No comments: